“One in wins, one in wins” yells Leo Carillo, 57 of Oroville.
His Cheech Marin -like voice could be heard over the din of the carnival activity and music from the nearby carousel.
“You ready?” he asks playfully Â to everyone who passes by.
Occasionally they challenge him to show that indeed sinking a basketball in the carnival’s hoop is not difficult and he obliges.
Many step up, pay $2 to try their luck to win a huge stuffed animal.
Carillo says he has a good time at this job regardless of the crowds.
As expected Carillo and his fellow employees of Midway of Fun carnival spend a lot of time on the road.
Most stays at one city is usually one week. They arrive early in the week, set up and are ready for the crowds on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Then they tear down on Mondays and are on the road again to the next city before long to repeat the cycle again.
On the carnival’s recent swing through Moreno Valley, they set up at the Canyon Springs mall parking lot.
Time of the day
I’m sure you’ve all heard it repeated over and over again that lighting is at least 75% of any good picture. The remaining 25% may be subject selection and camera technique.
The exact percentages will vary depending on who you ask, but those 3 are the biggies.
Even though the carnival opens its doors at 1pm on those 3 days, the light at that time is just terrible for pictures.
Rather than exhaust myself shooting in bad light, I knew my best bet would late evening–an hour before sunset around 6pm.
Strong directional light in the evening not only gives you warmer colors, it also gives you options to backlight, sidelight your subject.
And all you need to do is move or change your shooting position.
If you have good people skills you can even get your subject to move to where the light suits your needs.
Backgrounds that would be a distraction at midday will now appear black or dark because they are in heavy shadow.
If you’re interested in photographing faces, get used to talking with complete strangers.
Also, learn to take “no” as a possible answer.
All the employees of the carnival were very pleasant and alright with me taking their pictures
Some even enjoyed the attention.
I had one gentleman say it was okay to take his picture but he didn’t Â want to give me his name.
I didn’t find that to be a problem since I was planning to only use the pictures on my blog.
When you get good at talking to strangers you might be surprised at what they will let you do.
I asked Alejandra Perdomo who was manning the ping pong ball game booth ifÂ I could step over the barrier to get closer and she said, “Of course”
My reason? Â My speedlight Â inside the Lumiquest softbox loses 2 f-stops of light.
Also, by getting closer, the light Â source Â relative to my subject’s face is now bigger and therefore softer.
Getting closer also allows me to use a lower power setting so that by the Speedlight will recycle faster.
That in turn allows me to shoot rapidly as I work my charm on my subject. 😉
The more important reason to get closer once my subject is comfortable Â with me ?
I don’t have to yell over the noise and I can speak at normal conversational volume.